Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Big Hills, Big Weekend.

The Outerbanks is not a region synonymous with hills. However, in the quaint village of Duck, there are a few to be had. And this past weekend we conquered one particular hill. Syd and I had the pleasure of installing our first legitimate client's garden. By legitimate I mean that: They were not a member of our family. They were not coerced in any way, and they found out about us through our marketing material.

Because I'm pushing thirty (still scared of the interwebs), and because I still don't have a facebook account, and because it's not my yard, I will not divulge the particular hill--because that would be creepy. I will however say that the hill overlooks the sound. We had to park the Exxon Valdez (that's the garden truck) in the cull-de-sac because, well, it leaks oil like the Exxon Valdez. I understand that the fact that an organic garden installation business drives a gigantic diesel truck that leaks oil like it's its job is a little ironic, but we plan to run it on vegetable oil, and besides, that is another blog topic. The garden was located down by the water. I'd say it was a sixty or seventy foot drop--no descent--in about two hundred yards. A typical garden requires the removal of approximately ten wheelbarrow loads of sod, and the delivery of twelve to sixteen wheelbarrow loads of soil, along with about one hundred sixty pounds of peat moss. All I have to say is Suzanne Summers can keep her thigh master. I'm doing just fine gardening.

That was number one. Sunday brought two more gardens. not quite as strenuous, but fulfilling all the same. One of them, I don't mind mentioning is located at the Outerbanks Brewing Station. Feel free to go check it out. It has no plants yet, and is not completely filled, but if you want to know what a sweet rectangle looks like, have at it. After a few frosty brews, it could look like a trapezoid, which we are totally willing to build for you.

In short: One weekend, three gardens, one of which may serve as a great advertisement. Not bad!! The workout is a really nice upshot, but I won't dwell on it, accept to say that we have a new product in the works. It's a garden for which we bring the material and you build it. I'll stand there and drink a twelve pack while you tote the lumber, lug the soil, and clean up the mess. I might even throw in a few complimentary encouragements like, "that's not how I would do that," or "could you grab me another beer?," or what is this, your first rodeo?" In all seriousness, we really do like building gardens.

No comments:

Post a Comment